- Cook the dal in 1 cup of water till very soft adding more water if required. Allow to stand.
- Dice the tomatoes and place in a heavy saucepan with the tamarind pulp, asafoetida powder, rasam powder and salt to taste. Add 1 cup of water. Mix the contents of the pan together. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the undrained cooked hal and remaining 1 1/2 cup water to the rasam. Bring back to a boil.
- Tempering: Heat the ghee in a heavy frying add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chilli and curry leaves.
- When mixture starts to spit stir it into the rasam.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot and preferably immediately.